If you enjoyed the Marino Workshop book The Sound of Things Falling, the newest Recommended Reading Bookshelf has dozens of great titles to make your next read. The display includes:
- More books by Juan Gabriel Vásquez, including The All Saints’ Day Lovers and The Informers. Many books are available in both the original Spanish and in English translations.
- Books that influenced Vásquez, such as Gabriel García Márquez’s One Hundred Years of Solitude or A Fish in the Water by Mario Vargas Llosa.
- Colombian literature like Pecado by Laura Restrepo or Tiempo muerto by Margarita García Robayo.
- Literary criticism including A History of Colombian Literature or Español, lengua mía: y otros discursos by Pablo Montoya.
- Books on the drug trade in Colombia, such as Beyond Bogotá: Diary of a Drug War Journalist in Colombia by Garry M. Leech or Cocaina: A Book on Those Who Made It by Magnus Linton.
This Marino-inspired Recommended Reading bookshelf is available on the third floor of Lauinger Library through October, or online. Across from the Recommended Reading bookshelf in the Kerbs Gallery is the Marino Family International Writers’ Workshop Exhibition, on display through September 30.