In 1876, the Georgetown College Boat Club (the original crew team) was founded and one of its first actions was to appoint a Committee on Colors. Georgetown did not have any colors at the time and it was felt that they were needed so supporters on shore could identify the team during races. The Committee, desiring colors to both honor Georgetown students and alumni who had fought in the Civil War and to express "the feeling of unity that exists between the Northern and Southern boys of the College," recommended the adoption of Blue and Gray. The young ladies from the neighboring Visitation Academy immediately sewed a half blue, half gray banner, bearing the inscription Ocior Euro ("Swifter than the Wind"), and presented it to the College. The banner, now lost, was prominently displayed at commencements and other school events and its colors quickly became part of our tradition.