All images appearing on the Library's website or other entities are governed by the following policies.
Use of Images in General
The Library’s website contains many images in which the copyright is held by the creator or someone to whom he or she has assigned the copyright. For example, Georgetown University does not generally own rights of the images in DigitalGeorgetown or the Georgetown University Art Collection. Please follow the guidelines below when using images from the Library's website.
- Use of the Library’s images is limited to personal study and other fair uses.
- It is the responsibility of the user to obtain copyright permission from the rights holder before using a copyrighted image for purposes other than personal study and other fair uses unless the images falls within one of the Additional Permitted Uses listed below.
- Users of images from the Library’s website may not suggest or imply that the Georgetown University or the Library has endorsed, approved of, or participated in any projects that include Library images.
- If you are considering using a copyrighted image in a publication, please read our Using Images in Publications page.
Additional Permitted Uses
Works that were created by or for Georgetown University are copyrighted by Georgetown University. Such works include many of the graphics and present-day photographic images on the Georgetown University Library’s website. Images from DigitalGeorgetown and the Georgetown University Art Collection are not "Present-Day Photographs" and these Additional Permitted Uses do not apply.
Note: Images from DigitalGeorgetown (URL begins with repository.library.georgetown.edu) and the Georgetown University Art Collection (URL begins with art.library.georgetown.edu), are not "Present-Day Photographs" and these Additional Permitted Uses do not apply.
Present-day photographs on our website are licensed for use under a Creative Commons CC BY-NC 4.0 license. This includes:
- Library buildings and their interiors
- Library materials
- Library events
- Students, staff and others in the Library, on the Georgetown University campus, and/or attending Library events
For these materials, you are free to:
- Download, copy and redistribute the images
- Adapt, transform or build upon the images
Under the following terms:
- You must credit Georgetown University Library as the owner of the photograph: By Georgetown University Library, library.georgetown.edu, used under Creative Commons CC-BY-NC 4.0
- You must provide a link to the license and indicate if changes were made
- You may not use the material for commercial purposes
The limited use of copyrighted images without permission is permitted under the fair use doctrine in some circumstances, such as teaching, scholarship, research, criticism, commentary and news reporting. For more information on fair use and whether your use may qualify, read our fair use pages and use the American Library Association’s Fair Use Evaluator.
The Library requests all users to include the following credit with any image used under the fair use doctrine: Image courtesy of Georgetown University Library, library.georgetown.edu.
To inquire about the use of copyrighted images, please contact email@example.com.