Pages Licensed Under Creative Commons
The following works created by the Georgetown University Library are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International license. Pages will be identified with this Creative Commons designation:
- Research Guides
- Course Guides
- How-To Guides
- Collections Guides
- Copyright pages
- Scholarly Communication pages
Some images on the Georgetown University Library website are also Creative Commons licensed. Read more in our Library Images Use Policy.
Details of the CC BY-NC 4.0
The terms of this license are:
- You may copy and redistribute these materials in any medium or format and adapt, remix, transform, and build upon the material.
- You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made.
- You may not use the material for commercial purposes
Read the complete details of this license from Creative Commons.
Credit to Georgetown University Library Required
To give appropriate credit to the Georgetown University Library, you must include the following information:
- The title of the page and its URL
- The author of the page: Georgetown University Library
- A brief description of any modifications you made
- The type of license and its URL: CC BY-NC
Because our guides generally have information specific to Georgetown University, it is likely that you will need to modify the license for your use. Here is an example of an appropriate attribution for a work that has been modified for use by another library:
For more examples of proper attribution, read this Best Practices for Attribution page from the Creative Commons wiki.
Noncommercial Uses Defined
According to Creative Commons, “NonCommercial means not primarily intended for or directed towards commercial advantage or monetary compensation.” Read more on the Creative Commons wiki.
Pages Not Licensed Under Creative Commons
The Creative Commons license does not apply to:
- Georgetown University Library pages that do not have a CC designation
- Pages and Research Guides from the Georgetown Law Library
- Note: The Law Library’s Research Guides may be used according to the law library’s policy: “These guides may be used for educational purposes, as long as proper credit is given. These guides may not be sold. Requests to republish or adapt a guide should be directed to the Head of Reference. Proper credit includes the statement: Written by, or adapted from, Georgetown Law Library (current as of .....).”
- Pages and Guides from the Dahlgren Memorial Library
- Pages from the Bioethics Research Library
If you have any questions about this policy, or wish to request permission for a use not covered by the CC BY-NC license, please contact email@example.com.